The Influence of Plagiarism on Students
Student plagiarism is a deliberate attribution of someone else’s work (text), including already protected work, scientific article or monograph, technical solutions or inventions. From the right point of view — it is a violation of copyright law and patent law. As such, students ‘ actions even in some cases may entail legal liability.
Plagiarism of students is expressed in delivery under the name of someone else’s work, as well as in borrowing fragments of someone else’s works without specifying the source of borrowing and citation. A mandatory feature of plagiarism is the attribution of authorship, that is, the absence of reference to the true author or mention about him, as well as the correct use of quotations.
In the educational sphere, plagiarism is most often expressed in the publication or in borrowing fragments of someone else’s text without specifying the source of borrowing. Among students, graduate students, doctoral students plagiarism of several types are common:
- If partial borrowing (plagiarism) of the content of someone else’s scientific work or several works and published the result under his own name.
- Compiling — creating a mixture of your own and borrowed text without proper citation.
- Rewrite — paraphrasing someone else’s work without mentioning the original author). Currently high-quality, deep rewriting it is impossible to identify technical means of searching for plagiarism.
Thus, the reasons that, according to the author, affect the appearance of plagiarism in the final qualifying works of capable, successful students are reduced to the main – the lack of graduates formed competence: the necessary knowledge, skills (possessions) to work with written text. This reason leads to fear, panic, and complexes and provokes to follow the easy way and the use of plagiarism. In order not to be accused of plagiarism use free plagiarism checker.
The situation is complicated by the fact that this problem is exacerbated in the process of preparing the final qualifying work when the graduate is faced with the task of demonstrating the acquired professional knowledge and skills, among which there are no skills to work with the text. Measures to reduce the amount of plagiarism.
The whole range can be divided into three groups:
- preventive measures;
- regulations on detection;
- penalties (sanctions).
Why students use plagiarism?
- The first reason is the lack of knowledge of elementary rules of citation. This is, in fact, the most important reason for student plagiarism in the group under consideration. Unfortunately, at present there is a complete formalization of abstracts and term papers and other written forms of control of the educational process, leading to the fact that students increasingly give out for their texts other people’s works borrowed from the Internet.
- The second reason, which is a consequence of the first, is the fear and uncertainty of students in their abilities in the field of writing. Let us pay attention to the fact that we are talking about a special category of students-humanitarians who think in visual images
Students do not believe in themselves. They don’t have enough literary experience and are faced with their own tongue-tied and see salvation in someone else’s text that meets their requirements.
The situation is complicated by the fact that this problem is exacerbated in the process of preparing the final qualifying work when the graduate is faced with the task of demonstrating the acquired professional knowledge and skills, among which there are no skills to work with the text. The scientific supervisor in the conditions of the most reduced educational time along with the solution of scientific and practical and creative tasks faces a difficult task of filling gaps in knowledge and skills of formation of the written text for the fight against plagiarism.